For better or worse, when my phone rings I almost always know who is calling.
99% of the calls I answer are from people I’ve put in my phone as contacts (always leave a message the first time you call me). The other 1% is broken down between someone from whom I’m expecting a call and the rare solicitation call that comes when I’m expecting a call from someone else. Hate it when that happens…
Earlier tonight, just about an hour ago, my phone rang and the image on the screen showed my wife looking back at me.
“Hello!” I said after pushing the green button.
“Hello,” I said again, thinking the connection was bad.
“Hi,” said the voice again. A voice that was not my wife’s. A smile crossed my face as I realized it was my youngest granddaughter who was out shopping with her Nana.
“Hello, how are you?” I asked.
“Fine. I’m calling to see if I can come over tonight.”
Like I’m going to say no.
“Of course. It would be fun to have you come over!”
“Okay. I’ll see you later,” she said with a voice that was both confident and unsure all at the same time.
“Okay. See you in a bit.”
I was reaching for the button to hang up when I heard my wife’s voice through the descending handset.
“Hey,” she started, “is it okay if she comes over tonight?”
I wasn’t sarcastic–not even a little. That said, I’d just coordinated the evening with a six-year-old; what else was there to say to her grandmother?
“Of course,” I replied instead.
“She said she can be quiet,” Lisa continued.
“I’m sure she will,” I said. I’ll see you in a bit!
As I’m writing this, I’m in a Zoom call with my writing group*.
Okay, sure. She’s six years old and adores spending time with her grandmother. She’ll be quiet, I thought as I hung up the phone…sure she will.
Since I’m at the point now where I’m writing about real time events, I’m here to tell you that Lisa and her mini-me are not quiet grilled cheese makers.
That’s okay. I wouldn’t want it any other way.
*Looking for an online writing group? Check out https://www.teachwrite.org (unsolicited endorsement–it’s a great group).