By choice, I’ve not gone back through my blog to see how many times I’ve written about the weather. I know it’s been more than a few times, and, when I have, it’s rarely been about sunny days. I’ll just add this post to the list
Today, thanks to Hurricane Ida, it’s a weather day for my district here in north Alabama. We’re some 400 miles from the Gulf Coast, but the dangers are still real.
Thus, the weather day.
The decision was made yesterday, well before the first drops of rain fell here in our area. That’s a tough call to make, but it was a good one, says the teacher who’s sitting with a cup of coffee and a laptop in his living room watching the rain fall outside.
Good or bad, though, I have to acknowledge the perils of the “durned if you do, durned if you don’t” nature of the decision faced by district leadership.
If the decision to cancel school is made and the weather hazard turns out to be less than expected, you’ve got upset parents.
If the decision to cancel school is made and the weather hazard turns out to be real BUT there’s anything less than widespread damage, you’ve still got upset parents.
If you don’t decide to cancel school and the weather hazard turns out to be less than expected, you were still gambling with student safety. (That said, the majority of upset people are teachers and students.)
If you don’t decide to cancel school and the weather hazard comes to be, you should have listened to the experts and made a different choice.
Durned if you do, durned if you don’t. I do appreciate the difficulty of the decision.
As for me? I’ll watch the rain and hope for the best while grading some papers, writing some lesson plans, and reaching for another cup of coffee.